Wednesday, May 5, 2010

College Inc., its an episode of Frontline, on PBS. It was fairly interesting to watch. It showed us how the business that is higher education has flourished in the last few years. The schools, like the University of Phoenix, provide an education that focuses on trade building so that they can draw in students that are in need of a higher state of living. I can see the benefits in it, to be completely honest, to provide and education and to save a failing college. However, in the process, the school becomes a business, and like any business, it becomes vulnerable to dishonest business practices. An example is evidence that these schools have been employing very dishonest practices to draw in students who can not pass and can not succeed to sustain the required amount of students needed to keep the school open. The ways these things work are somewhat corrupt, but I'm not too sure that it can not be completely that it does not overall benefit the people who want an education.

I don't currently have a family of friend in a for profit college, but I don't think I'd be too worried if i did. It just seems that if you are going to a for profit college that you should be aware of your finances and not make any assumptions.

When I choose a college, I make sure that I am aware of exactly what I need and what I have. If I want to do something with my life, I have to make sure that the college I attend is an environment that will allow me to reach that end. That includes majors, internships, and maybe some job placement programs.

Watching this video definitely reminds me to make sure that I am not trying to attend a college that I could not possibly afford, and if the college that I want to attend is expensive, I would have to be sure that I don't dig myself a whole with all the loans I would need. Also, it reminds me to definitely try to go for more scholarships.

No comments:

Post a Comment